If you watch the many design shows on HGTV, you will consistently hear that staging your home (be it new construction or not) will result in a quicker sale. Staged homes encourage buyers to connect – both personally and emotionally. Staging also helps buyers to linger longer in your home and to perceive more value, resulting often in a higher sales price. Here are a few tried and true suggestions geared toward maximizing your sale!
- Curb Appeal – Get started out on the right foot, with a welcoming entry. A fresh new welcome mat, some greenery and seasonal plants will help bring more buyers to your doorstep. Get out the leaf blower, to clean up the yard, and then paint and spruce up your home – ready for buyers to come rolling in.
- Clean – Hire a professional to deep clean your home, and be certain to include windows, carpets and upholstery. Make sure that unusual smells, whether from pets or cigars, are nowhere to be found! Buyers need to feel that your home has been well cared for – fresh scents and sparkling surfaces will go a long way toward that goal!
- You can’t go wrong with all white – You don’t need to spend a lot on this one. Change all of your old and tired, mismatched and worn bedding, towels, linens and shower curtains to clean crisp white. The monochromatic look lends an elegant, well-maintained spa-like effect, helping buyers to feel comfortable and to see your home as current and fashionable.
- Out with the old and in with the new – Over the years you have turned your house into a space that fits your needs and clearly reflects the family that has been living there, with all of your personal photos and favorite possessions. It is important, however, to help buyers to picture themselves, and their own families, occupying the space. Swap out anything personal, like family photos, trophies and mementos, and replace with less personal artwork and table top pieces that can readily be purchased at stores like Home Goods or Target.
- Declutter – Eliminate all the clutter from your table tops – including coffee tables, dining and kitchen tables, bathroom countertops and shelves. Neatly arrange your bookshelves and sort your closets by color or style. A home that feels fresh and organized will feel so much more inviting!
Consider these tips and your magazine-ready home could be the next to sell!