Located in Norfolk County and a part of Greater Boston, Wellesley is prized among communities in Massachusetts for being the home of numerous top-rated schools and universities in the state. The town is home to a historic district and several neighborhoods that boast distinct characters and real estate options.
Aside from a high concentration of reputable educational institutions, Wellesley is also known as having one of the highest median household and family incomes in the whole state. Approximately 27,900 live in town according to the 2010 census.
Wellesley was incorporated as a town in 1881. Nearby communities include Needham, Newton, Natick, Weston, and Wayland.
Wellesley is renowned throughout the state for having some of the best educational opportunities to offer. Aside from being home to highly regarded colleges such as Wellesley College and Babson College, the town is home to top-performing public and private schools.
Public schools in Wellesley are managed by Wellesley Public Schools. Within town are 7 elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and an integrated pre-school program for children ages 3 to 5.
Private academic institutions in Wellesley include Dana Hall School, a preparatory school for girls, and Tenacre Country Day School, an independent elementary school serving students from pre-K through 6th grade.
An affluent town, Wellesley real estate is characterized by a fine collection of single-family homes and townhouses in different architectural styles – Colonial, Ranch, and Cape Cod, and Cottage are some of the more popular designs, but Colonial homes reign supreme.
Affordable selections are available throughout Wellesley, but the real gems in town are its stately, multi-million dollar estates. Single-family homes are prevalent around town, usually featuring 3 to 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
Wellesley real estate is a combination of old properties and newer constructions. Some of the oldest homes in the area were built during the mid-19th century and are usually found in Wellesley’s Historic District.
Quick facts about Wellesley
- Wellesley was named by Forbes.com as the second among “America’s Most Educated Small Towns” due to the high concentration of college degree holders in the community.
- Boston Magazine has also named Wellesley as one of the best places to live in.
- Although Wellesley was incorporated in the late 19th century, its first wave of settlers arrived in the area as early as the mid-17th century.
- Wellesley’s first settlers, who came to the area over 350 years ago, were so happy to come across the land that they named it “Contentment.” Over time, of course, the name changed, but locals are still as content with their community as ever.
- In its early days, Wellesley was part of a much larger town – Dedham. Needham, south and east of Wellesley, was also part of this community.
- Babson College, a reputable business school in the country, has already produced five living billionaires. Babson is often regarded as one of the best colleges in the country to offer entrepreneurship education.
Traci’s Picks – Live Laugh Food Fun
- Adventurer – The Gardens at Elm Bank (25 Miles of Walking Trails) Lake Waban Hiking Path at Wellesley College
- Athletic Club – Beacon Hill Athletic Club, Boston Sports Club (In summer for the outdoor pool)
- Bakery – Quebrada
- Comfort Food/Home Cooking – Comellas, Tutto Italiano, The Linden Store
- Day Spa – Bella Santé
- Discerning Palate – Café Mangal
- Equestrian – Dover Saddlery
- Golf Enthusiast – Wellesley Country Club, Nehoiden Golf Club
- Hostess Gift – Isabel Harvey, London Harness/Tumi
- Ice Cream Lover – Truly Yogurt
- Shopping – Sloane & Ivy, Denim & Soul, French Lessons
- Specialty Food – Wasiks Cheese Shop
- Specialty Club – B-Tone, Pure Barre, The Bar Method
For more information about Wellesley, contact Traci Shulkin today at 617-939-6309 or send her a message at Traci@benoitmiznersimon.com.
The property listing data and information set forth herein were provided to MLS Property Information Network, Inc. from third party sources, including sellers, lessors and public records, and were compiled by MLS Property Information Network, Inc. The property listing data and information are for the personal, non commercial use of consumers having a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing listed properties of the type displayed to them and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties which such consumers may have a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing. MLS Property Information Network, Inc. and its subscribers disclaim any and all representations and warranties as to the accuracy of the property listing data and information set forth herein.